08 December 2005

A not so guilty pleasure...

Recently I took some time to take a stroll around my neighborhood; I wanted to savor being able to walk around the block and pass through the intersection of Haight & Ashbury. Don't get me wrong, I will still find myself at key locations in the Haight: Goodwill, the Booksmith, Bound Together, and of course, Amoeba Records. For those unfamiliar with Amoeba, it is a religious experience for those of us who like to spend way too much time developing our music collection -- trying to find just that one thing for my collection.

Since I listen to a cross-section of music, I have several cd's I am looking for: I can find myself bouncing from bluegrass/gospel, country, ska, rock, metal, soul, dance, classical just to name a few sections I can be found scouring. Some of my treasures found in recent weeks include: Reno & Smiley (bluegrass gospel), a promo copy of Dressy Bessy's new disc (indie pop), and as of yesterday, the Hee Haw Gospel Quartet.

Though the Hee Haw Gospel Quartet is not bluegrass per se, it leans heavily on those roots enough for me to add it to my collection. Actually, I have been searching for it for a few years, and did not want to cheat and use Ebay; for me, finding this was like finding a buried treasure. And besides, it was used.

I am deliberate when I use the word tresure to describe what this cd is for me. On the one hand, these songs were in the hills where I grew up. These songs nourish my soul, touching me deeply, and I feel a sense of reverance and contentment as the songs wash over me. The other part of this buried treasure are the memories of my family. Hee Haw was a part of my childhood Saturday night, just like Lawrence Welk. I cherish those memories now that my grandfather (Pepa) is gone, and my grandmother (Mema) has been battling Alzheimer's for well over decade. This simple disc warms my heart as I remember my family this time of year as Christmas looms near. This disc reminds me of the reason for Christmas, the celebration of hope amidst the longest night of the soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home