03 December 2005

Music of the Season

Music + Christmas, they go together like Halloween and Linus and his security blanket. More and more, I find I need the music of this time of year to remind myself that it is actually Christmas -- to remind myself to wait expectantly for the hope, new life, and regeneration that is promised in the time of greatest darkness. I'm sorry, but shopping for just the right video streaming iPod does not remind me of that. Christ, not the dollar, sustains my soul.

That said, there are three songs that help remind me that Christmas is near:
1. "Linus and Lucy" -- when I hear the piano in this familiar piece from Charlie Brown, I am reminded of the Christmas's growing up at my grandparent's house in South Carolina, especially the years before my grandmother developed Alzheimer's. I remember the joy friend's and I had showing off our new toys to each other, and the joy that came from sharing them. Ok, it makes me long for a innocence I never really had... but it helps to remember to count the blessings I received growing up.

2. "Santa Baby" -- I am sorry, only the Eartha Kitt version will do for me -- I am a queen after all.

3. Anything from Bruce Cockburn's "Christmas" disc -- Granted this is pretty general, but this reminds me of the great radio station I miss from back home, WNCW, and being able to sit with friends with the radio playing in the background. Besides, Cockburn's disc is just wonderful, but if I have to pick a favorite track, it would be "Les Anges Dans Nos Campagnes."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home